Government hospitals in Mumbai are foundations of accessible and humane healthcare, servicing the city’s varied population. Mumbai’s government hospitals have a long history and a strong commitment to providing a wide range of medical services to all people. They help those in need and advance medical science, making health care available to all.
Let’s take a look at some of the best government hospitals in Mumbai:
Top 10 Government Hospitals in Mumbai
|Sir J. J. Hospital
|Dr. R. N. Cooper General Hospital
|Government Dental College And Hospital
|Gokuldas Tejpal Hospital
|Lokmanya Tilak Municipal General
|Cama & Albless Hospital
|Tata Memorial Hospital
The specialty of these hospitals
Sir J. J. Hospital
Established in: 1848
No. of beds: 2844 beds
- Award Medical It serves as a lifeline for disadvantaged patients from around the state and country, providing free specialist treatments to the underprivileged and affordable care to the general public. College and Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals, a pioneering school with a 175-year history, raises the bar in medical education and patient service.
- Its strategic position in Mumbai attracts patients from all across the country, making it a one-of-a-kind and convenient destination for quality healthcare.
- This hospital, which is part of the Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy Group of institutions, is an important medical institution in India.
Address: J. J. Marg, Nagpada-Mumbai Central, Off Jejeebhoy Road, Mumbai – 400008.
Dr. R. N. Cooper General Hospital
Established in: 1970
No. of beds: 1462
- Dr. R. N. Cooper Municipal General Hospital and HBT Medical College is a well-equipped medical facility located in Mumbai, India. The hospital has a wide variety of facilities, from general medicine to specialized departments like pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, cardiology, and neurology.
- Cooper Hospital, began as a Maternity Home and later evolved into a Teaching Hospital affiliated with KEM Hospital.
- It has 1.9 million outpatients and 81,000 inpatients each year and offers both fundamental and advanced treatment offices in all sectors of medication and medical procedures.
Address: Bhaktivedanta Swami Marg, Juhu Scheme, Juhu, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400056.
Government Dental College And Hospital
Established in: 1963
No. of beds: 1462
- The school has acquired a reputation for academic and scientific competence, providing BDS, MDS, and Ph.D. programs, as well as providing exceptional patient care and promoting access to education and healthcare.
- The hospital has a daily OPD of approximately 400 patients.
- The institution plays a critical role in providing exceptional oral healthcare and teaching future dental professionals.
Address: Civil Hospital Campus, Asarwa, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. 380016
Gokuldas Tejpal Hospital
Established in: 1875
- This hospital has fostered medical pioneers such as V. M. Haffkine, Dr. Bhende, and Dr. K. D. Manohar, who have made revolutionary medical discoveries.
- The hospital offers 24-hour emergency services and continuous patient care through dedicated CMOs/RMOs and essential amenities such as ECG, X-ray, dressing, and medicines.
- The hospital sees roughly 90 patients each day, with a yearly attendance of approximately 33,000 people.
- The hospital has a 24-hour setback/Emergency administration department. CMOs/RMOs are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for patient
Address: Near Police Commissioners Office, Lokmanya Tilak Marg, Fort, Mumbai 400001 consideration. There are ECG, X-ray, dressing, and administration offices.
Lokmanya Tilak Municipal General
Established in: 1947
No. of beds: 1462 beds
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General Hospital (LTMGH) is a prestigious medical school and research facility in India, known for its dedication to excellence and service.
- LTMGH, motivated by the slogan “Service through Excellence,” is a distinguished medical facility that contributes to healthcare and education on a national and international scale.
- They serve over 1.9 million outpatients and 81,000 in-patients each year, providing comprehensive medical care and innovative treatment across multiple medical specialties.
- With Many Intensive care units and special clinics, it takes care of complex health problems at a very affordable cost. It has special clinics on Learning disability, Hemato-oncology, Thalassemia, and Steam cell therapy.
Address: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Road, Sion (West), Mumbai – 400022.
Cama & Albless Hospital
Established in: 1886
No. of beds: 505
- The only hospital in Maharashtra dedicated solely to women and children, complete with an oncology wing. The hospital provides cheap patient treatment in conjunction with education and research for women and children.
- The hospital provides affordable patient care linked with teaching and research, not only for women and children from Mumbai but also from other parts of Maharashtra and other states as well.
Address: BMC office, Mahapalika Marg opp. Azad Maidan, Dhobi Talao, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Area, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001
Established in: 1926
No. of beds: 1800-bed capacity
- KEM Hospital is one of Mumbai’s most prominent public hospitals, treating about 1.8 million outpatients and 850,000 inpatients each year.
- The hospital is supported by 550 resident doctors and 390 staff physicians who are educated to provide primary, specialist, and emergency medical and surgical care.
- It offers both basic care and specialized treatment in all areas of medicine and surgery.
Address: The King Edward Memorial Hospital, Acharya Donde Marg, Parel, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400012.
Established in: 1944
No. of beds: 236 beds.
- The hospital specializes in Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Trauma and orthopedics, Obstetrics and gynecology, Plastic Surgery, Joint Replacement, Urology, Nephrology, Pediatric Medicine and surgery, and Minimal Access Surgery, among other things.
- The Hospital includes ICU beds, daycare beds, dialysis beds, and recovery beds.
- The medical team comprises highly skilled and qualified Consultants Medical Officers are competent and well-trained doctors.
Address: Saat Rasta, Sane Guruji Marg, Jacob Circle, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400011.
Established in: 1963
No. of beds: 210
- Poddar Hospital in Prabhadevi, Mumbai is one of the most renowned Hospitals in the area. Countless locals in Prabhadevi have placed immense trust in the practitioner over the years.
- Patients at Poddar Hospital receive precise diagnoses using Ayurvedic and cutting-edge equipment at reasonable prices. It has always been a top choice for getting affordable healthcare.
Address: Dr. Annie Besant Rd, B Wing, BDD Chawls Worli, Worli, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400018.
Tata Memorial Hospital
Established in: 1941
- Tata Memorial Hospital, established by the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, provides critical cancer care to about 30,000 patients from India and adjacent countries each year.
- More than 70% of patients receive primary cancer care at the hospital, with 60% receiving treatment at no cost.
- The hospital’s daily outpatient clinic serves over 1000 patients, providing medical guidance, comprehensive care, and cancer follow-up treatment.
- Tata Memorial Hospital recognizes the need for supportive treatment and excels in areas such as rehabilitation, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, psychiatry, and medical social work.
Address: Dr. Ernest Borges Rd, Parel, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400014
Free healthcare services in Mumbai’s government hospitals
The government provides free healthcare services in Mumbai’s government hospitals. The Maharashtra government stated in August 2020 that it would give free and cashless insurance coverage to all citizens under the Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Arogya Yojana (MJPJAY), the state government’s health scheme. This plan pays for all medical costs, including hospitalization, surgery, medications, and diagnostic testing.
The Maharashtra government, in addition to MJPJAY, provides free healthcare services in government hospitals through the Right to Health scheme. This program, which began in August 2021, covers all medical expenses, including hospitalization, surgery, medications, and diagnostic testing, for patients who are not covered by MJPJAY.
Patients just simply present their Aadhaar card or other government-issued ID cards at the hospital to receive free healthcare services in government hospitals in Mumbai. They will be charged no expenses for therapy or drugs.
It should be noted that some government hospitals in Mumbai may charge minimal fees for services such as blood testing or X-rays. These fees, however, are often quite minimal and are waived for patients who cannot pay them.
Why choose government hospitals in Mumbai?
Choosing government hospitals in Mumbai has several strong advantages:
Affordability: Government hospitals provide cost-effective healthcare solutions, allowing a greater segment of the population, particularly those with less financial resources, to receive critical medical treatments.
Expertise and Training: Because these hospitals are frequently linked with prestigious medical colleges, you will be treated by experienced doctors who are also involved in training the next generation of healthcare professionals.
Comprehensive Services: Government hospitals offer a comprehensive range of medical services, from basic healthcare to specialty treatments and procedures, giving you access to a wide range of medical expertise under one roof.
Inclusivity: Because these hospitals serve a varied patient population, they cultivate an atmosphere of inclusivity and cultural awareness.
Community Impact: By choosing government hospitals, you promote the health and well-being of the entire community, contributing to the overall improvement of public health.
Quality Controls: Many government hospitals are subject to stringent quality control and regulatory oversight, ensuring that you receive care that satisfies established healthcare standards.
Emergency Care: Government hospitals frequently offer well-equipped emergency departments that provide vital care without the requirement for prior appointments during emergencies.
Research and Innovation: Some government hospitals serve as hubs for medical research and development, resulting in improvements in medical treatments and technologies.